Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Batwing Lake

If you are looking for a lake that is within an hour of Thunder Bay and has a good population of fish consider Batwing Lake. This lake is a favorite lake of mine because I can go out after work and be fishing by 7:00 and still get 3hrs of fishing in. The public launch as alot of room for weekend camping and the Boreal Road is in great condition this year. The only part of the drive that has rocky road is the short drive off the Boreal Road to the launch, when traveling to the lake for the first time have a map and watch for the turn off to the launch because it is only marked with some orange flagging tape.

I always have great success fishing Batwing Lake a 30 fish evening is possible if you can find the right structure to fish. I usally concentrate on the many rocky points and drop-offs fishing in 8 -25ft of water. I find the wind doesn't pick up on this lake too much and if it does there are alot of spots that offer shelter. The structure and the river from Flower Lake and Whalen Lake is what makes this lake so good for fishing and we always mark a ton of bait fish.

The structure in Batwing is usually rocks I find that if I use a poor fishing line I will break off more jigs when I am snagged. I use GAMMA Copolymer 8lb-10lb line and because of the extra strength and the molecular structure in their line I retrieve 90% of my snags.

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to my first trip to Batwing. Is the public launch at the east or west end of the lake near the Boreal Road?

    ReplyDelete